Ahead of Diwali, Delhi government bans firecrackers

NGT ban firecrackers
Share News:

NEW DELHI, NOVEMBER 5: The government of Delhi on Thursday have decided to ban firecrackers in the national capital ahead of Diwali, announced State Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal.

The decision comes after a review meeting on the COVID-19 situation.

“Reviewed corona situation in Delhi and preparedness with Chief Secy, Health officials and all DMs. Corona cases have increased due to festival season and pollution. It was decided to: 1. Ban crackers in Delhi, 2. Ramp up medical infra, Oxygen and ICU beds are being increased in Delhi govt hospitals,” Kejriwal said in a tweet.

After the review meeting with the chief secretary, health department officials and district magistrates (DMs), the chief minister said that coronavirus cases have surged in Delhi due to the ongoing festival season and pollution.

Delhi has recorded a spike in COVID cases in the past few days with the number of daily contagions crossing the 6,000-mark for the second day in a row on Wednesday.

Earlier in the day, the CM Arvind Kejriwal appealed to Delhiites not to burst firecrackers this Diwali.

leave a reply