WASHINGTON, OCTOBER 8: US President Donald Trump on Thursday said he would not participate in a virtual debate with Democratic nominee Joe Biden for the forthcoming US Presidential Election.
The Commission on Presidential Debates said the second presidential debate would be a “virtual town hall” to protect the health of all involved.
The Biden campaign welcomed the commission’s move.
However, Trump said, “That’s not acceptable to us,” adding he thought the virtual format would allow the moderator to cut him off.
In a phone interview, Trump said he won’t attend the debate if he was contagious but that he thinks he is now well enough to hold campaign rallies.
This has now thrown a doubt on the second presidential debate between Trump and his Democratic rival, Joe Biden, which is scheduled for October 15.
Last week, the White House revealed that President Donald Trump had tested positive for coronavirus.
Meanwhile, Joe Biden has led Donald Trump consistently in national polls. Polls, however, show a tighter race in many states that will decide the election.